December 2, 2014 | Posted in: Devotional
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it
John’s unique spin on the advent story has some simple yet profound truths underpinning it…
- Before His birth Jesus is presented as eternally co-existing face to face with God but… also as uniquely BEING God.
- He is the creative agent of all things that exist and He is the sole source of all REAL life.
- That life is likened to light, and at His birth that light exploded into the dark realm we inhabit.
- His light perpetually has the upper hand, even though darkness consistently tries to overcome Him.
- The light speaks of His goodness and perfect holiness.
- The darkness speaks of the collective system of demonic rebellion and humanity living in Sin both by nature AND choice.
Advent proclaims to us that no matter how rotten this world is or has potential to be, God has NOT abandoned us to our own de-vices! Rather, He has invaded with His light and life and offers them to all who will respond to His great love.
Philip Brookes beautifully summed this up in 1868…
How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is given!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of His heaven.
No ear may hear His coming,
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him still,
The dear Christ enters in.
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. (ESV)
12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, (ESV)